Fairfax Criminal Defense Law Firm
Navigating the Virginia Criminal Defense System
Being accused of or charged with a crime can feel extremely overwhelming. What will this mean for your future? Your freedom? Your reputation?
At Lawrence, Smith & Gardner, we understand the stress you are under, and we are prepared to help. Since 1982, our firm has represented the rights of people throughout Northern Virginia charged with all types of criminal offenses. We have a long history of success and are known for our aggressive approach to protecting our clients’ rights.
Whether you have been accused of embezzlement or fraud, arrested for drunk driving, or charged with a drug crime, our Fairfax criminal defense law firm is here to help. We urge you to reach out to our team right away, as the sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin developing a powerful defense on your behalf.
Understanding Your Legal Rights
When you are stopped by the police or charged with a crime, you have certain rights. This is true regardless of the circumstances of your arrest, your citizenship status, or the type of crime with which you have been charged. It’s important that you know and exercise these rights, as this can make a significant difference in the outcome of your criminal case.
Some of your rights during and after an arrest include:
- The right to remain silent
- The right to an attorney
- The right to be free from unreasonable searches/seizures
- The right to refuse to answer questions about your citizenship status (with some exceptions)
- The right to make a local phone call after an arrest
- The right to due process and a speedy trial
- The right to be treated justly
If you believe you may be under investigation for a crime, or if you have already been arrested, one of the best things you can do to protect yourself is to hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Prosecutors work swiftly; if you have been charged with a crime, the prosecution is likely already building its case against you. You need someone by your side who can develop an equally powerful defense on your behalf.
At Lawrence, Smith & Gardner, we have more than 40 years of experience protecting the rights of people from all walks of life. We understand the criminal justice system and know how to aggressively fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
How Our Criminal Defense Team Can Help
We have extensive experience handling all types of criminal matters, including misdemeanor and felony charges, state and federal cases, appeals, plea bargains, motions for dismissal, expungements, and more.
Our Fairfax criminal defense lawyers regularly represent clients facing the following types of criminal charges:
- Assault and battery
- Breaking and entering
- Disorderly conduct
- Domestic violence
- Gun crimes
- Obstruction of justice
- Resisting arrest
- Drug crimes
- Probation violations
- Protective order violations
- Reckless traffic misdemeanors
- Theft and larceny
- Petit and grand larceny
- Property crimes
- Hit-and-run felonies and misdemeanors
No matter how serious the charges against you may be, our firm can help you understand your options and develop a defense strategy tailored to the unique circumstances of your case. We are prepared to aggressively advocate for your rights, your freedom, and your future.
How to Find a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Facing criminal charges can be a daunting experience, and finding the right criminal defense attorney is crucial to ensuring your rights are protected and you receive a fair trial. Here are some tips to keep in mind when looking for a skilled and experienced criminal defense attorney who can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and provide you with the best possible defense.
- Seek Recommendations: Ask friends, family members, or colleagues for recommendations if they have had any experience with criminal defense attorneys. Personal referrals can provide valuable insights into an attorney's reputation and track record.
- Online Research: Utilize online resources to research potential attorneys. Websites like Avvo provide attorney profiles, reviews, and ratings that can help you assess an attorney's credentials and client feedback.
- Meet with Attorneys: Arrange initial consultations with potential attorneys to discuss your case. During these meetings, ask questions about their experience, track record, and approach to handling cases similar to yours. Evaluate their communication skills, responsiveness, and willingness to address your concerns.
- Check Credentials and Experience: Verify the attorney's credentials, including their education, bar admission, and any relevant certifications. Additionally, inquire about their experience in handling cases similar to yours and the outcomes they achieved.
- Look at Reviews: Ask for references from past clients and read online reviews. Hearing about others' experiences with the attorney can provide valuable insights into their ability to handle cases effectively and professionally.
- Assess Legal Fees and Payment Plans: Understand the attorney's fee structure and any potential additional costs, such as court fees or expert witness fees. Discuss payment plans or financing options if necessary, ensuring that you can afford their services.
- Evaluate Comfort and Compatibility: Trust your instincts when choosing an attorney. You'll be working closely with them during a challenging time in your life, so it's important to feel comfortable and confident in their abilities.
- Verify Their Availability: Ensure that the attorney has the time and resources to devote to your case. Overloaded attorneys may not provide the level of attention your case deserves.
Request a Free Consultation with Our Criminal Defense Lawyers Today
If you or someone you love has been arrested or charged with a criminal offense in Fairfax County, Prince William County, or any of the surrounding areas, don’t wait any longer—contact the Fairfax criminal defense law firm of Lawrence, Smith & Gardner today to learn how we can help. Our team provides highly personalized legal defense to all types of criminal charges, and we prioritize accessibility, communication, and reliability. When you choose our firm, you can depend on us to be there for you throughout the entire process.
"I appreciate the courtesy and professionalism."- Previous Client
"Thanks for that usually elusive gift … a second chance."- Previous Client
"Thank you for making it possible for me to continue with my life."- Previous Client
"We appreciate the courtesy and professionalism of your wonderful staff."- Previous Client
An Accessible Team With Direct Communication
Free Initial Consultations for All Clients
Numerous Positive Reviews from Our Clients
A Diligent Approach to Each Case
More Than 40 Years Serving Our Community