Proactive Defense For Charges Of Resisting Arrest
Confronting a police officer isn’t something most people face every day. When you are threatened with an arrest, it is human nature to want to run or fight back. After all, your freedom and future are at stake.
Resisting arrest is a serious offense that can be used as incriminating evidence in further criminal proceedings against you. If you are facing criminal charges in Fairfax County, or anywhere in Virginia, and the prosecutor has added resisting arrest to the charges, call attorney Ronald E. Smith, in Fairfax. Our firm has extensive experience protecting the rights of people who have been charged with offenses that may not be warranted.
What Is Resisting Arrest?
Resisting an arrest can come in many forms and the police at the scene don’t take time to sort out the various legal issues involved. Their job is to stop the crime and resolve the tension at the scene as quickly as possible.
Some typical actions that can result in charges of resisting arrest or obstructing justice include:
- Wrestling to escape the grasp of a police officer
- Physically assaulting the police officer
- Running away to hide from the police
- Refusing to follow a police officer’s specific orders at the scene
- Fighting to avoid handcuffs or removal to a police vehicle
- Refusing to submit to fingerprinting and other identification procedures
- Offering a hiding place/sanctuary to a person on the run from the police
It is evident that resisting arrest is often a judgment call by the police officers at the scene. We work aggressively with the juvenile court officials to make sure charges are not added without justification.
Make The Law Work For You. Contact Us For Aggressive Defense.
Our lawyers strive to protect your rights. You can trust in our experience and skill to fight for you. Call Ronald E. Smith, P.C., at 703-539-5825 or send us an email with a brief explanation of your charges, and we can arrange a meeting or free phone consultation.