Facing A Larceny Charge? We Will Defend Your Rights.
Larceny is the unlawful taking of another person’s property. If you are charged with petty larceny, you face fines, up to one year of jail time and a permanent mark on your criminal record. If you face grand larceny charges, you face up to 20 years of prison time. Additionally, these offenses are crimes of moral turpitude and carry serious immigration consequences for noncitizens.
At Lawrence, Smith and Gardner, we have the necessary knowledge and experience in criminal law to provide legal representation for people accused of theft and larceny crimes.
Contact us today online or by telephone at 703-539-5825 to speak with a knowledgeable Fairfax, Virginia, larceny defense lawyer.
Have You Been Charged With Larceny?
At Lawrence, Smith and Gardner, we help people who have been charged with petty and grand larceny, including shoplifting charges and other property crimes. Larceny charges carry stiff penalties, which vary depending on the severity of the crime and the value of the property alleged to have been stolen.
- Petty larceny: If you have been accused of stealing something worth less than $1,000, you are facing petty larceny charges. Petty larceny is typically charged as a misdemeanor. If convicted, you will face a maximum sentence of 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.
- Grand larceny: Grand larceny includes crimes such as auto theft and other crimes in which property valued at $1,000 or more was involved. If convicted of grand larceny, you may face up to 20 years in prison.
Additional Punishment Is Possible
Aggravating factors can result in added punishment. For example:
- Penalties can be more severe if multiple people are involved (the crime is viewed as “less impulsive”).
- Having children present can lead to charges for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
- If a car was used while committing the crime, you can lose your driver’s license and/or have your vehicle seized.
Plus, potential penalties are much stiffer for repeat offenders.
We Have The Skill And Experience You Can Rely On
It is essential to retain an aggressive and experienced attorney who protects your rights and prioritizes your best interests. Contact the law office of Lawrence, Smith and Gardner, today for proactive representation in your case. Call 703-539-5825 or fill out our online contact form to arrange a meeting with a lawyer today. We also offer free phone consultations.